Dubai Expo 2020 has revealed the thematic experience planned for its Sustainability Pavilion.
Terra is the first thematic experience to be revealed by Expo 2020, with the Opportunity and Mobility sub-themes to follow.
The pavilion will bring to life the UAE and Expo 2020’s commitment to sustainability, inviting guests to wander through forest roots, dive into ocean depths, and see Earth’s wonders corrupted.
Terra will focus on human consumption and the harm we’re causing the environment, highlighting ways to save the world.
John Bull, Sustainability Pavilion director, said: “Humankind has had an enormous impact on the world and Expo 2020’s Terra experience is designed to reveal the magnitude of this impact in a way that is personal and inspiring.
“It will be a stirring, and at times emotional, experience as visitors come face-to-face with the significance of their individual choices. We hope they will emerge with a new perspective that inspires millions of people of all ages to take action in their own lives, as we all come together to welcome a better future.”
Terra will tell the story of Arabia, with visitors able to discover the nature of the Arabian Peninsula.
Visitor experiences at Dubai Expo 2020’s Terra
- Installations inspired by fairground attractions, including a giant maze, will explain key sustainability issues and concepts and invite visitors to work together to solve them.
- Visitors will be able to choose their own journey – Under the Ocean and/or Under the Forest.
- Gnasher, an insatiable consumption-machine installation, will ingest natural resources to produce single-use consumer products.
- A series of ‘Would you rather?’ scenarios will challenge visitors to consider how individual choices directly impact the planet.
- Guests can risk the planet’s future in a game of high-stakes pinball.
- Visitors can also meet a giant fish who’s furious about the plastic waste clogging up his home in the ocean.
- Laboratory of Future Values – a space that presents solutions to the challenges and issues.
‘Wow’ experiences at #Expo2020 #Dubai
#22 Encounter a deep-sea fish whose body is clogged with discarded plastic as part of the Sustainability Pavilion’s eye-opening ‘Terra’ experience, publicly announced for Earth Day. #ExpoWow #EarthDay pic.twitter.com/QO6lyutvJ2
— Expo 2020 Dubai (@expo2020dubai) April 22, 2019
At the end of the Terra experience, visitors will be asked to make an individual pledge that supports positive change, such as cutting back on food waste or not using single-use plastic.
All you need to know about Expo 2020 Dubai pavilions