Leading experience designers, GSM Project, will be presenting two sessions at the American Alliance of Museums’ (AAM) Annual Meeting and MuseumExpo in Phoenix.
The event invites museum professionals to ‘connect, collaborate, and share practical advice’ at more than 160 interactive sessions. Topics cover everything from collections management and curatorial practice, to education and audience research; from exhibit planning and design to marketing and community engagement.
GSM Project’s sessions look at experience design, the importance of involving local communities and audience engagement. The first, entitled If You Are Reading This, You Aren’t My Target Audience, explores text-free ways to communicate with visitors.
Engaging the Arctic: Working with Northern Communities to Tell Their Stories highlights the company’s work on the new Arctic Gallery at the Canadian Museum of Nature and the new Alaska Gallery at the Anchorage Museum.
Communicating without using text
If You Are Reading This, You Aren’t My Target Audience will explore how museums can better communicate with audiences who either can’t, or don’t want to, read text in a museum setting. What are the possibilities offered by wordless exhibitions and can museums find other, effective ways to tell their stories?
- Date: Sunday, May 6 – 1pm-2 :15pm (location 221ABC)
- Session moderator: Erika Kiessner, Content, Interactive and Technology Director, GSM Project
- Presenters: Dana Schloss, Exhibit Designer / Fabricator, New York Hall of Science and Amanda Conlon, Executive Director, London Regional Children’s Museum
The second session, Engaging the Arctic: Working with Northern Communities to Tell Their Stories, explains the importance of engaging communities and community voices to tell authentic stories in museums. GSM Project will share insights into the Arctic Gallery and Alaska Gallery projects, both of which bring the faces and voices of everyday people into the museum space.
- Date: Sunday, May 6 – 4pm – 4:15pm (Location 227ABC)
- Session moderator: Jeremy Taylor, Content Director, GSM Project
- Presenters: Julie Decker, Director & Chief Executive Officer, Anchorage Museum and Ailsa Barry, Vice President, Canadian Museum of Nature
The American Alliance of Museums show runs from May 6-9, 2018 at the Phoenix Convention Center, Arizona.