Six Flags Great Adventure is now one of the world’s first solar-powered theme parks. The company and its partner KDC Solar have announced that the 23.5-megawatt solar project is complete.
“This is a thrilling day for our company. This project represents a giant step toward becoming a net-zero carbon facility,” said Six Flags Great Adventure Park President John Winkler.
“Clean energy is right for the environment and our future, and we look forward to decades of environmental stewardship with our partner, KDC Solar.”
Today, we made history! Six Flags Great Adventure and KDC Solar have partnered together and we are now almost fully powered by solar energy ☀️ #sixflags #sixflagsgreatadventure #solarpower pic.twitter.com/nqWobxFGLp
— Great Adventure (@SFGrAdventure) June 12, 2019
Key features of Six Flags Great Adventure’s solar project
- 11 MW of solar carports over three parking lots.
- 12.5 MW on 40 acres of ground-mounted solar panels.
- Net metering system that allows Six Flags to generate its own clean energy and export power into the grid to serve nearby homes and businesses.
- Dramatic reduction of the park’s reliance on harmful fossil fuels.
- Preservation of more than 200 acres of forest, wetlands and wetlands transition areas.
- Use of more than 99,000 hours of union labor by KDC Solar in constructing the project.
“We are continually searching for new ways to operate more efficiently and enhance our role as good stewards of the environment,” Winkler added.
President and CEO of KDC Solar, Alan Epstein, said: “Six Flags demonstrated its unwavering commitment to clean, solar power by its steadfast partnership with us throughout this process.
“This groundbreaking project perfectly aligns with both Governor Murphy and the New Jersey Senate and Assembly’s support of renewable solar energy. We look forward to a long, continued partnership with Six Flags Great Adventure.”
Six Flags and RollerCoaster Tycoon Touch
Six Flags and Atari recently announced a licensing partnership to provide real world theme park content in the RollerCoaster Tycoon Touch mobile game.
RollerCoaster Tycoon Touch players will have the unique opportunity to design and operate their own theme parks via their mobile devices from June 2019.
Image: Six Flags Great Adventure