The new Tottenham Hotspur Stadium has opened in London, featuring a fully retractable pitch, bars and restaurants, premium experiences, and an interactive museum. Phase 2 includes an extreme sports attraction.
Designed by Populous, the stadium hosted its first game yesterday (April 3) when Tottenham Hotspur met Crystal Palace in the Premier League.
With a capacity of 62,062, the venue is the biggest club stadium in London, and the first in the world to be custom-built to host both Premier League football matches and NFL games.
Tottenham Hotspur Stadium features include:
- 17,500 capacity South Stand – the largest single-tier stand in the UK, topped with a glass walkway
- Fully retractable turf pitch with a state-of-the-art artificial playing surface beneath for NFL matches and other large-scale events
- The Market Place, a new area in the South Stand atrium, with street-food style market stall, the Goal Line Bar – Europe’s longest bar at 65m, and a microbrewery operated by local brewer Beavertown
- Premium fine dining experiences including the H Club, a private members club
- The Tunnel Club, a glass-walled private members restaurant and bar that allows guests to watch as players walk from the changing rooms to the pitch
- The Sky Lounge, where guests can enjoy panoramic views across London from the highest point available in the stadium
- A concert hall-inspired acoustic set-up, which amplifies the noise inside the stadium, and wireless connectivity across the venue
“Our new stadium and wider scheme has been developed to deliver an unrivalled fan experience and significant benefits to our local community,” said Daniel Levy, Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Chairman.
“We want to make this venue a world class sports and entertainment destination for everyone, in our birthplace of Tottenham.”
— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) April 3, 2019
“This is a game changer,” added Christopher Lee, Managing Director of Populous. “There is no doubt in my mind that the new Tottenham Hotspur Stadium is the best stadium in the world, and has set an incredible benchmark to follow.
“Daniel has challenged us at every point in the journey, but this has led to a stadium which will be the crucible of the club’s passion for generations to come.”
Alongside the stadium, the Tottenham Experience contains the largest retail space of any club in Europe, an interactive museum, the Tottenham Hotspur archive, and a café with outdoor seating.
Phase 2 includes extreme sports attraction
The second phase of the Tottenham Hotspur’s development of the site is now set to begin. It will include a 180-bedroom hotel, an extreme sports building with the UK’s tallest climbing wall, a community health centre and 222 new affordable homes.
Elsewhere, Comcast Spectacor, The Cordish Companies and Populous have announced plans for a $50 million, next-generation esports and entertainment venue in the Philadelphia Sports Complex.