Weedmaps, a cannabis technology company, has announced the upcoming opening of the Weedmaps Museum of Weed in Hollywood, California.
The new attraction will open to the public on August 3, and will be a 30,000-square-foot educational experience with interactive exhibits, art installations, historical artefacts and more.
The Weedmaps Museum of Weed takes visitors through the history of cannabis in different locations and time periods.
It hopes to highlight the tie between cannabis prohibition and racially disparate policies with an aim to drive advocacy and reform efforts.
?TICKETS ARE NOW AVAILABLE FOR THE WEEDMAPS #MUSEUMOFWEED!!? Open to the public on August 3rd for a limited time. The experience builds on our long-standing commitment to combat stigma and to shed light on social justice issues surrounding #cannabis. pic.twitter.com/uRfqjTmdvS
— Weedmaps (@weedmaps) June 24, 2019
“Our goal with the Weedmaps Museum of Weed is to demystify cannabis and its role in society, and to draw attention to the impact prohibition of cannabis has had on various social groups in the US and beyond,” said Chris Beals, CEO of Weedmaps.
The museum will have seven exhibits and a special Plant Lab section:
- Pre-Prohibition: A look at the early history of the uses of cannabis and hemp.
- Age of Madness: A visual look at madness perpetuated by prohibition.
- Counterculture Revolution: Cannabis in the ’60s, from hippie culture to activism.
- Behind Closed Doors: The beginning of the war on drugs, when Richard Nixon introduced the DEA.
- Entrapment: The Reagan years and the government-driven propaganda that led to incarceration of minorities.
- Dose of Compassion: How the AIDS epidemic drove California’s ballot measure to legalise medical marijuana.
- Legalization: How medicinal and recreational cannabis reform has evolved over the last ten years, and how pop culture has helped to normalise cannabis.
- The Plant Lab: An interactive exhibit that explores cannabinoids, terpenes and the latest technology and breakthrough medical research.
“Visitors to the Weedmaps Museum of Weed will experience an accurate, unfiltered exploration into the world of cannabis throughout history,” addd Beals.
“The Weedmaps Museum of Weed will combine all the immersive elements you’d expect to find in the world’s finest museums across multiple categories, including cultural, fine art and natural history. There will also be plenty of artistic installations for those who want to share meaningful moments socially.”
Developed in partnership with VIRTUE, the Weedmaps Museum of Weed will be open for a limited time, and will have a cafe and gift shop selling apparel, pop culture keepsakes, and cannabis trinkets. No cannabis or CBD products will be sold.
“Despite increasing efforts to decriminalize cannabis, and overwhelming evidence about its benefits, stigma around weed continues to run deep,” added Beals.
“Through the Weedmaps Museum of Weed, we hope to provide visitors with a robust understanding of the highs and lows of cannabis history, and to create a stronger understanding of the importance of this plant and its potential.”
Elsewhere, CANNABITION is an immersive cannabis-themed art museum in Las Vegas that explores the history, culture and art surrounding cannabis use.
Blooloop previously spoke to JJ Walker, a Colorado event producer and the visionary behind CANNABITION, and Mark Kara from Themespace, who helped realise that vision.