NBA Experience is officially opening at Disney Springs, Walt Disney World Resort on August 12. The state-of-the-art immersive experience will include interactive games and experiences.
The announcement was made at Amway Center in Orlando, Florida, during an Orlando Magic – Philadelphia 76ers game, where Mickey Mouse made a surprise on-court appearance.
Disney and NBA have joined forces for the attraction, which features 13 interactive elements and hands-on activities across 44,000 square feet and two floors.
“When we were young, we played basketball in our driveways or in the park, creating those imaginary moments of making the game-winning shot for a championship,” said Stan Dodd, executive producer, Walt Disney Imagineering.
“We want to take that energy and help you feel what it’s like to be an actual NBA or WNBA player.”
When entering NBA Experience at Disney Springs, visitors will feel like they’re walking through the players’ tunnel at an NBA or WNBA arena.
As well as competitions and games at various stations, the attraction will have a shop with NBA-themed merchandise.
Additional elements of the destination include:
- Slam dunk challenge – guests can change the height of a standard 10-foot hoop to as low as seven feet to perform their own moves, captured by burst photography.
- An activity that tests shooting skills with spots on a court that lights up as guests move from one location to another, attempting to sink as many shots as possible in 15 seconds.
- A way for guests to see how they stack up to some of the world’s best basketball players by measuring their vertical leap, wingspan, shooting and dribbling.
- Personalisation for various activities with guests’ names and associating the activity with their favourite NBA or WNBA teams.
- Real-time technology to aggregate statistics of NBA and WNBA games and players for continuous updates, while leaderboards will track top NBA Experience performers throughout each day.