Ocean Park has announced a partnership with Hong Kong Broadband Network Limited to create an unlimited, free, high speed WiFi service at the park. In addition a new mobile app will be introduced to enhance the visitor experience.
The WiFi development project will be divided into two phases over a year. Phase one will see partial coverage by the third quarter of 2015, with the second phase set to extend the service to the entire guests area (over 915, 000 square metres including the Cable Car route and the new waterpark area) by the first quarter of 2016.
Over 470 Wi-Fi hotspots will be created to support more than 40, 000 mobile devices with a transmission speed of up to one gigabyte per second. In addition optical fibres will be installed to give Ocean Park the flexibility to meet the technological demands of the future.
Commenting on the announcement Tom Mehrmann, Chief Executive of Ocean Park, said, “Our guests, especially tourists from outside Hong Kong, typically spend an extended period of time to enjoy the over 80 attractions and performances we offer. Survey results show that over half of the frequent independent travellers spend four to six hours on each park visit.
"Our plan will not only provide guests with unlimited, free WiFi service and enable them to stay better connected, it will also save them expensive international data roaming charges. Moreover, new mobile app functions will take everyone’s theme park experience to a higher level.”
The new mobile app will include the following features to enhance the guest experience and park operations:
- Virtual Guided Tour: A multi-lingual self-guided service near animal exhibits including audio, text, image and video content
- Park Navigation Service: Enables guests to get the most from their day with attraction waiting times, routes. The service also provides the Park with real-time geographical crowd data allowing Operations to manage visitor flow and distribute coupons to direct guests to other attractions.
- Premium Pass: Purchased with admission ticket allowing priority access to certain attractions via a QR Code on a mobile device as well as discount coupons and exclusive souvenirs.
- E-Scheduler: Creates an itinerary for guests, optimising their visit.
- Smart Tips: Keeps guests informed about nearby attractions, events and promotions by integrating push notifications and geo-location functions.
- Buddy Finder: Guests create a “Buddy Circle” which enables them to find family and friends throughout the visit.