Skip to main content

WhiteWater celebrates milestone in construction of Europe’s First Endless Surf Pool

The sustainable project is already creating waves with professional surfers

News
Endless Surf Surftown MUC

WhiteWater, a leading waterpark manufacturer, is celebrating the groundbreaking of its latest Endless Surf Pool project. As construction began, representatives were present at the project site to share ideas and discuss the plans, including top figures from political, commercial and surfing circles.

Since the project was officially revealed to the public last year, it has received media attention as Europe’s largest surf pool, now accompanied by visualisations from Munich architects Maisch Wolf Architekten.

SURFTOWN MUC CEO Chris Boehm says: “We are thrilled and proud to get closer each day to our dream of surfing near Munich. My sincere thanks go to the municipality of Hallbergmoos, which has accepted the challenges of our forward-thinking project with remarkable pioneering spirit.” 

Endless Surf Surftown Groundbreak MUC

Hallbergmoos mayor, Josef Niedermair, marks the major milestone by adding: “For the municipality, SURFTOWN MUC is a historic opportunity that everyone can benefit from. On a political level, we have done our best to ensure that this extraordinary project can be realised in our town. Once again we are proving that Hallbergmoos is capable of courageous and forward-thinking steps.”

Flexible for all surfers

The organically shaped surf lagoon is powered by Endless Surf technology, with this installation being 180 meters long. The model is designed to be flexible in terms of operating configurations and customisable wave production, producing a ‘peeling wave’ along its length, resulting in a 20-second ride for surfers. 

Chief Surfing Officer Michi Mohr says: “At the core of all our planning is the unique surfing experience, which should provide visitors – from absolute novices to Olympians – a safe environment for everything that makes this sport such a passion. And that includes an innovative surf school and coaching concept for beginners, intermediate surfers and pros, in addition to a relaxed and cool ambience and additional outdoor sports facilities.”

Endless Surf Surftown MUC Concept

The surrounding buildings continue the water theme with a design reflective of a breaking wave. SURFTOWN MUC will provide a facility where professionals, as well as the public, can look forward to a visit with vast recreational value. With a flexible wave height design from 30cm to 2.5 meters, SURFTOWN MUC is even suitable for International Championships.

WhiteWater and Endless Surf president Paul Chutter says: “Bringing customisable waves to an already vibrant surf community surrounding the Eisbach River will surely solidify Munich as a surfing hub for Germany and beyond.

“We are incredibly honoured to contribute to this rich surf culture, alongside the dynamic team behind SURFTOWN MUC. This moment marks a huge milestone for us all and we can’t wait to start rolling out Endless Surf waves in Munich.”

Endless Surf Surftown Venue MUC

An efficient exercise

A self-imposed objective to use climate-neutral and sustainable concepts has ensured that the development used time-consuming approaches to respond with innovative answers.

The surfing facility is largely self-sufficient with 90 per cent of its energy sourced from on-property and adjacent photovoltaic systems. The remaining 10 per cent will be generated by local grid green electricity.

The facility’s water supply will not use valuable potable (drinking) water, instead using local groundwater which will come from Hallbergmoos’ swampy topography. A dedicated filter and circulating water system will be engaged to further minimise unnecessary consumption.

Endless Surf Surftown Groundbreaking MUC

Visitors will be encouraged to use public transport, electric cars, e-scooters and bicycles as much as possible, incentivised by a bonus scheme and electronic charging in parking spaces.

WhiteWater has recently announced a new look for another of its surfing brands, FlowRider, which has undergone a fresh rebrand in time for the summer season.

Share this
Adam Whittaker blooloop

Adam Whittaker

Adam is Marketing Manager and looks after blooloop’s communications. He studied Marketing and Advertising Management at Leeds Beckett University. You can usually find him appreciating art deco architecture, by a seaside resort, or on a theme park roller coaster.

More from this author

Companies featured in this post

More from this author

Related content

Your web browser is out of date. Update your browser for more security, speed and the best experience on this site.

Find out how to update