Earlier this month, nominations for the first-ever UK Theme Park Awards were announced. Now, a new category recognising in-home entertainment during the COVID-19 lockdown has been added.
The new category, Best Lockdown Activity, will celebrate the work that UK theme parks have been doing to entertain the public and engage with their audience while closed due to coronavirus. The awards are presented by the ThemeParks-UK website, which provides an independent guide to the UK’s theme parks.
Other categories include Theme Park of the Year, Best Value and Best Accessibility. The British public will be able to vote on their favourite parks in the UK, alongside a panel of expert judges.
Quality digital content
“In challenging circumstances, many UK theme parks have created a fantastic range of digital content to keep families entertained at home during the lockdown, so we wanted to take this opportunity to recognise their work,” says Lawrence Roots, Editor of ThemeParks-UK.com
The nominees have been producing things like live-streams, educational activities, puzzles, games and more.
The nominees are:
- Alton Towers Together (Alton Towers)
- Chessington Broadcasting LIVE! (Chessington World of Adventures)
- Egg-citing Easter Challenge (Drayton Manor)
- Funtime with Funshine (Blackpool Pleasure Beach)
- Month of Awesomeness (LEGOLAND Windsor)
- Online Easter Egg Hunt (Oakwood Theme Park)
- Paultons Puzzler (Paultons Park)
- Thrills Workshop @ Home (Thorpe Park)
- View from the Zoo (Flamingo Land)
- Woody & Friends Dance Party (Pleasurewood Hills)
Top UK parks
The 10 nominees in each category can be viewed here and the public vote will take place later in the year. These votes will be combined with those of the judging panel, who are:
- Paul Kelly (Chief Executive – British Association of Leisure Parks, Piers and Attractions)
- Andy Hine MBE (Chairman – Roller Coaster Club of Great Britain)
- Paul Burton (Chairman – European Coaster Club)
- Charles Read (Managing Director – Blooloop)
- Lawrence Roots (Editor – ThemeParks-UK.com)
Several big players are in the running for various categories, such as Alton Towers, Blackpool Pleasure Beach, Chessington World of Aventures, Drayton Manor and more. Other attractions nominated include Lightwater Valley and Flamingo Land in Yorkshire, Fantasy Island in Lincolnshire, Dreamland Margate in Kent, Adventure Island in Kent, Oakwood Theme Park in Pembrokeshire and Paultons Park in Hampshire.