Related: NOW OPEN! – The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando Resort / Theme Parks – Marketing the Universal Orlando Resort: Vince LaRuffa / The Creature from the Black Lagoon returns, in a new attraction at Universal Studios Theme Park Hollywood
JK Rowlings magical world, recreated at Universal Islands of Adventure has turned around the Parks performance in 2010 and, compared to the same period in 2009, the quarter ended 26th September 2010 recorded:
· paid theme park admissions increased 36%;
· total operating revenues increased $139 million (62%);
· Theme park ticket revenue – up 58% to $190m
· EBITDA totalled $159 million, an increase of $72 million (82%)
Interestingly the “Harry” effect has been seen across all areas of Universal’s business; Universal’s travel company offering exclusive packages with extra added value like early admission to the Park helped to deliver a 61% increase in other revenue. Increased volumes also allowed savings in Cost of Product Sold as a percentage of Theme Park Food and Beverage Revenue and Theme Park Merchandise Revenue, which decreased 3.3% to 46.3%.
It seems that the extra visitors clamouring to visit Hogwarts also stopped off at The Three Broomsticks for a butterbeer and visited Ollivanders for a wand ; total theme park spending per guest increased by 21%. Every category of revenue showed an increase in the last quarter, but merchandising seems to have flown off the shelves:
· Theme park food and beverage – an increase of 59% to $43m
· Theme park merchandise – a staggering 104% increase on the third quarter of 2009 to $49m
Truly magical results!
Image: © 2010 Universal Orlando Resort. All rights reserved.