Cosm is showcasing its newly built Experience Center, featuring a unique 8K LED dome that measures 20 metres in diameter. This is ideal for a range of venues, including science centres and museums, theme parks, sports and entertainment venues and more.
Cosm provides a full solution for delivering immersive experiences. This includes physical design, engineering, and manufacturing; as well as the software, display engine and content that are required to deliver these experience at scale.
A strong technological foundation
This innovative new company consists of three core companies which will continue to operate as individual brands, while also bringing key components to Cosm’s portfolio of technology and services. These were acquired in 2020 through a take-private transaction and additional asset purchases. They are:
- Evans & Sutherland (E&S), a software and display technology company that brings 70 years of experience in providing spatial computing and immersive rendering software, projection and LED screen technology, and full-dome theatre systems
- Spitz, Inc. (an E&S Subsidiary), known for the Spitz NanoSeam panel, and a pioneer in the planetarium and custom curved projection screen industry. A provider of design and structural engineering expertise, custom domes and spherical structure manufacturing.
- LiveLike VR, a global leader in live immersive sports and entertainment, providing live immersive production, distribution and video streaming tech platform, and immersive app development services to partners in the form of white label headset and mobile applications.
“Each of these companies stands on its own with established legacies of innovation and world-class client partnerships; and when combined, unlock a much greater potential than previously imagined,” says Jeb Terry, President and Chief Executive Officer of Cosm.
“The Cosm Team is well-positioned to expand and deliver on our robust backlog while also advancing innovation and ingenuity to develop future opportunities. Cosm is investing in growth to build out an incredible team, expand our capabilities, and leverage our market-leading technology in new ways with a focus on the emerging Experience Economy.”
“Great companies can only realize their full potential if they have wildly ambitious goals, a phenomenal team, and the ability to execute; and Cosm has them all,” adds Stephen T. Winn, Cosm Board Chairman, and Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of RealPage.
A wealth of experience
These companies have a great deal of experience in the field of immersives. For instance, E&S and Spitz are the only turnkey provider of complete dome theatres. Between them, they have delivered more than 2000 experiences and have over 500 live installs, including at world-renowned attractions like the Adler Planetarium, the U.S. Space and Rocket Center, Liberty Science Center, and Shanghai Astronomy Museum.
Furthermore, E&S and Spitz have also provided signature experiences to well-known parks such as Universal and SeaWorld. E&S is a pioneer in both the planetarium and immersive computer graphics fields and created one of the first VR headsets in the 1960s.
LiveLike VR is a global leader in live immersive sports and entertainment production and distribution, and streaming architecture for partners around the world. It has worked on large-scale events with FOX Sports, FIFA, Telemundo, IPL, UEFA, Sky, BBC, FranceTV, and more.
The company works with rights holders and broadcasters to deliver immersive, interactive, and social experiences to consumers digitally via headsets (HMDs) and mobile platforms.
The Cosm Experience Center
Cosm’s new Experience Center can be found on the E&S campus at the University of Utah’s research park, in Salt Lake City. Its 8K immersive LED dome, also known as DomeX, is the only one of its kind in the world.
Completed in 2020, the Cosm Experience Center showcases the company’s technology capabilities and shows what is possible for partners and clients. The LED display provides a superior viewer experience, overcoming issues common to projection-based systems such as shadows, resolution, contrast, reflections, brightness, and more.
The Center is also home to the seventh iteration of E&S’ core 3D rendering engine, Digistar, which was recently released in Q3 2020 to the Sciences and Education market. Digistar is able to show real-time rendered environments, live-streamed and recorded videos, and live content integrations with Unreal Engine and Unity.
DomeX is a LED 20-meter diameter truncated dome vertically positioned to allow viewers full floor to ceiling immersion. The Center features more than 5,000 square feet of display, with 8K resolution, 29.5 million pixels, and around 4.5 miles of CAT6 Data cable.
In addition to the existing leadership at Cosm’s portfolio companies, the expanded Cosm leadership team brings together a wide range of experiences in sports and entertainment, immersive and emerging technology, engineering and software development, and immersive content production and distribution:
- Jeb Terry, President & Chief Executive Officer, former VP, Emerging Technology, FOX Sports Digital, and former NFL athlete
- James Meredith, Chief Marketing Officer, formerly SVP, Marketing, Cinemark Theatres
- Devin Poolman, Chief Product & Technology Officer, formerly EVP, Technology, Digital Consumer Group, FOX
- Sheli Reynolds, Chief Operation Officer, formerly EVP, Digital Strategy, Digital Consumer Group, FOX
- Paul L. Dailey, EVP and Head of Finance, Evans & Sutherland
- Jon Shaw, EVP & GM, Spitz and Evans & Sutherland • Kirk Johnson, EVP & GM at Evans & Sutherland
- Nicholas Bower, VP, Head of Strategy & Planning, formerly VP, Head of Finance, FoxNext
- Andy Bown, VP, Head of Sales, former Chief Revenue Officer, eVisit
- Anne Brownlee, VP, Head of Communications, former VP, Communications, Omni Hotels & Resorts
- Neil Carty, VP, Head of Brand & Community, former SVP, Innovation Strategy, MediaLink
- Pooja Dalal, VP, Head of Human Resources, formerly Director, HR Business Partner, Fox Corporation
- Brian DeBoer, VP, Head of Engineering, formerly CTO, Mammoth Media, VP, Technology, FOX
- Peter Murphy, VP, Business Development & Partnerships, former VP, Business Development, FOX Sports
- Jeremie Lasnier, VP, Immersive Design, LiveLikeVR, formerly Co-Founder & Chief Creative Officer, LiveLike Inc.
- Fabrice Lorenceau, VP, Live Production & Video Technology, LiveLikeVR; formerly Co-Founder, Head of Production & Product Strategy, LiveLike Inc.
- Tyler Washburn, VP, Head of Experience, former Senior Designer, PRDG
- Stephen T. Winn, Cosm Board Chairman, and Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of RealPage
- Jason Wright, Cosm Board Member and Partner, APAX Partners