Great Plains Zoo has broken ground on a $2.4 million Brown Bear Canyon exhibit renovation.
The expanded Brown Bear exhibit is scheduled to open in the late spring of 2018 and will include an expanded habitat, improved facilities and enhanced viewing opportunities:
- Expanded habitat – including a lush Bear meadow.
- Up-close viewing opportunities – including a training demonstration window so that visitors can observe the behavioral training that Zookeepers do every day with their animals.
- Additional animal holding to ensure the Zoo meets modern standards for Bear management.
- A bear habitat-themed children’s play area with a kids’ fort from which children can get a bird’s-eye view of the exhibit.
- STEAM signage and hands-on interactive elements.
- A modern and efficient water filtration system to reduce staff labor and cut utilities expenses.
- More “bedrooms” for up to four Brown Bears.
Elizabeth A. Whealy, President and CEO, said, “This is a truly transformative exhibit renovation that will enhance the experience of visitors as well as allow our veterinarian and animal care team to provide optimal care for Brown Bears. Not only will the new exhibit be a must-see addition to our Zoo, it will allow us to educate our visitors about these magnificent animals in a fun and interactive way.”
Great Plains Zoo in Sioux Falls, SD attracts nearly 316,000 annual visitors.
Images: Great Plains Zoo