Santorini Park, located in the southern part of the Phetchaburi Province in central Thailand, is set to expand with a new waterpark from Polin.
Santorini Park is an amusement park adjacent to the Cha-Am Premium Outlet Mall. The retail development and the amusement park are the brainchild of Supoj Tantichirasakul, chairman of Pena House Public Co. Ltd. and its subsidiary.
Themed after the Greek island of Santorini, Santorini Park is a $1.62 million (bt50 million) amusement park that draws as many as 10, 000 visitors on its busiest weekend days. The majority of guests come from Bangkok but around 10-20% of guests are tourists.
Santorini Water Fantasy is part of an ongoing development. The $3.25 million (bt100 million) waterpark covers 4 acres of the 23.7 acre site. Tantichirasakul plans to add another 8 acres adjacent to the waterpark and also build a three-star, low-rise resort with about 150 rooms.
Tantichirasakul says, “We considered it the right time to create this project to support the increase in tourists for the near future… It will be expanded in due course. So the 60 rai (23.7 acres) on hand now is only our first phase. Three years from now, we can add more to meet tourists’ growing demand.”
Tantichirasakul explains that quality is important: “Everything in the area of Santorini Park Cha-Am should look good … Santorini Park Cha-Am’s concept has been well-considered. It is a place for tourist activity in Hua Hin during weekends. We can say that this is not a temporary campaign, since our target is the higher-end market, which has buying power. Therefore, the product, location, atmosphere, thrill rides and everything that we selected were of the highest quality, as well as being appealing. It should be looked at as a long-term project.”
The Santorini Water Fantasy waterpark is set to open in 2013 and will feature innovative offerings from Polin Waterparks and Pool Systems, a world leader in the aquatics industry:
- King Cobra – With bold red, black and white scales, Polin’s King Cobra’s imposing veneer extends along its massive 50-foot (15.24-meter) height and 260-foot (790-meter) length. The slide features fog, sound, lights and a unique configuration that enables two riders to race along a circular path of twists, turns and surprises. Riders reach speeds of up to 32 mph (51 km/h) via water pressure of 3, 875 gallons (14, 668 litres) per minute through open and closed tubes. The ride ends just after they endure a heart-pounding plunge of nearly 25 feet (8 meters) down a 50-degree slope.
- Looping Rocket – This high-adrenaline ride offers one of the highest drops riders can experience. The ride features Polin’s exclusive “Magic Shine” technology in translucent colours.
- Space Shuttle – This waterslide features an innovative design configuration, form and ride path. Fully open, fully enclosed and half-closed versions are available. Configuration options include exit via a pool or a run-out.
- Windigo – Riders on mats begin this attraction within enclosed slides that transform into high-speed multi-racer lanes. It offers the flexibility of including “Kamikaze” or “Freefall” options, and its high-capacity capability will keep lines moving.
- Other rides being installed by Polin include a Freefall, Aquatube, Rafting Slide, Black Hole, Kids Freefall, Space Hole, Kids Octopus Slide, Mini Pirate Slide, Turtle Slide, Rabbit Slide, Mini Rainbow Slide, Giraffe Shower, Mushroom, Aquatower Type 600, Frog Slide, Baby Octopus Slide.