The BugWorld Experience® will be an interactive, state of the art facility which will show the world through a bug’s eyes – and offer visitors the chance to handle some of the exhibits as well as sample insect themed delicacies enjoyed in other parts of the world.
The concept is being introduced to the UK by Rogers Group Investments (RGI); owner Des Rogers witnessed the success of a small Insectarium in Canada a few years ago and through his knowledge of the family attractions industry (RGI owns and operates the ‘Viking Splash’ amphibious DUK Tours in Dublin), he recognised something that would also appeal to the UK market.
The Liverpool venue was secured as the first Bugworld Experience location when Des visited the city with a view to expanding his other tourism interests and was shown an available plot in the Albert Dock – itself undergoing some expansion and changes to bring in more visitors. Liverpool has seen a massive increase in visitors over the last 12 months with the Mersey Partnership estimating a visitor increase of 70% – largely affected by the city’s City of Culture 08 status, which is expected to continue affecting the city’s success in years to come.
With private backing, the BugWorld Experience is now on course to open in Liverpool in July and is being supported by a proactive advertising and PR campaign throughout the UK.
Keith Thomas, whose leisure development consultancy company, the Petersham Group, is assisting RGI with the launch and management of the new project commented: “With the economic situation as it is, more and more British families will be holidaying at home and looking to visit great quality, innovative attractions such as the BugWorld Experience. Coupled with the weakness of sterling which makes the UK a great value destination for visitors from the Eurozone, this is the perfect time to open a new destination attraction.”
Des comments: “Our research here in the North-West has left us in no doubt of the likely success of the Liverpool project and indeed, The BugWorld Experience is conceived as the first in a series of branded attractions that will be rolled out in the UK and beyond. A UK-wide search for venues is now underway.” Visit: bugworldexperience.co.uk/
- The BugWorld Experience® is an all-new visitor attraction concept set to open at Albert Dock, Liverpool, in summer 2009. The promoter of the project is Rogers Group Investments (RGI), owned by Des and Fergal Rogers.
- Entry will be approx £10 for adults, with concessions for children, students and seniors.
- Highlights include simulated environments from a rainforest to a savannah to the everyday British home – to show the bugs that live alongside us in each habitat.
- As well as getting the chance to handle bugs, visitors can go to the BugWorld Experience Base Camp, to sample insect food delicacies from around the world, including chilli locusts, meal worm pancakes and oven baked tarantula.
- A number of endangered species will become residents of the BugWorld Experience, where the bug experts are committed to helping maintain and boost their populations through conservation, education and carefully planned breeding programmes.
For further information, please contact:
Suzie Myers, Helen Seed. Mere PR tel: 0161 929 8700. firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com