Polin Waterparks and Pool Systems has announced that Cowabunga Bay, Polin's first turnkey contract and largest waterpark project to date in the United States, is set to open in early summer 2014.
Construction issues have delayed the opening of the Las Vegas waterpark which will debut the first Polin Surf Safari waterslide, “Wild Surf”, designed exclusively for Cowabunga Bay. The four person raft slide offers a longer riding experience compared to slides with similar features with a 55 ft drop into the world's largest manmade parabolic "wave".
Polin was the supplier of choice for Cowabunga Bay as a result of their patented Magic Shine finish which will prevent oxidation under the desert conditions. The smooth and shiny finish is applied to both sides of each Polin waterslide component with resin transfer molding (RTM) technology, a composites production technique using closed-molded technology.
The 23 acre Cowabunga Bay site has been divided into three areas, with master planning and plumbing for potential future expansion:
- Aloha Shores, a Hawaiian-themed family-friendly area featuring the Cowabunga Kids Cove play area which includes a giant, heated shallow pool with 10 mini waterslides, waterfalls, tipping buckets and the Guppy Racer.
- Surf City U.S.A., retro themed for the 1950's California surfing movies.
- The Boardwalk, inspired by Atlantic City and the Jersey Shore.
In addition to Wild Surf, Cowabunga Bay will feature the following water rides and attractions:
- Surf-a-Rama Wave Pool: a 35, 000-square-foot wave pool set in a 1950's drive-in theater at the centre of the waterpark with waves up to 4 feet high.
- Zuma ZOOMa: A thrilling waterslide – Polin's Looping Rocket- this is Cowabunga Bay tallest attraction with a "launch capsule" 73 ft in the air.
- Point Panic: A dark water ride – Polin's Black Hole – with Polin's unique Natural Light Effect technology.
- Surfin' USA: Polin's Uphil multisurf – six guests race downhill from the 55 ft start.
- Beach Blanket Banzai: Polin's Family Rafting – a four person raft slide down 600 feet of twist, turns and drops.
- Rock-a-Hoola: Polin'sSpace Boat – a 300ft waterslide with a giant bowl.
- Surf-A-Go-Go: Polin's Space Shuttle – a 600 ft waterslide with two giant "rebound chambers" where riders scale the walls and rebound from side to side.
- Cowabunga River: a themed and heated leisure river.
- Boardwalk Bay: a relaxing pool.
- Cowabunga Splash: Polin's Aquatower waterplay structure for kids. (Phase 2 expansion)