Leading sound artists Sound Sculpture Inc. (SSI) focus on conceptual development and sonic creation for creative challenges and for extraordinary circumstances including attractions, experiences and themed entertainment.
SSI explores how sounds articulate environments, shape perceptions and influence emotions. SSI’s works on the roll of sound in storytelling and elevating compelling experiences through audio.
The team’s artistic vision pairs classic design techniques inspired by the work of classic sound effect artists with modern and developing technologies to remain relevant to contemporary work.
Based in the greater Los Angeles area, SSI was founded in 1996. SSI creates sound for exhibits, interactive experiences, film, and attractions. Their sound experiences are enjoyed every day by tens of thousands of people at experiences around the world.
Sound Sculpture Inc.’s work includes:
- Creating soundscapes that articulate environments & immerse guests within location based experiences.
- Blending vintage sound effects artistry & classic design techniques with developing technologies.
- Creating sounds for ride vehicles which authentically articulate story & motion.
- Creating soundtracks for interactive attractions that emphasize story & gameplay objectives within active, chaotic environments.
- Setting mood and tone through evocative sound design.
- Prototyping, performing, & recording sonic devices for film, television, & fixed installations.
- Developing soundtracks that creatively address logistical & technical challenges inherent to location based entertainment experiences.
- Articulating story with sonic environments, sound effects, & audio textures.
- Mitigating isolation & acoustic challenges through the creative development of soundtracks.
- Custom audio creation to showcase & demonstrate developing technologies.
- Restoring & recreating classic sound effect devices.
SSI is directed by Ben and Roy Herrington in collaboration with composers, mixers, sound designers, producers and audio system engineers. The two brothers form creative teams to address the unique demands of each project.
Ben Herrington is the Founder, President, and Creative Director of Sound Sculpture, Inc. A sound artist with 25+ years of experience creating sound for area development soundscapes, exhibits, location-based interactives, and award-winning attractions
After starting his first business at age 19, Ben wrote music and creates soundscapes for the “Le Mystere du Nautilus” attraction at Disneyland Paris, providing music and sound design services for the Walt Disney Imagineering Virtual Reality Studio. Two years later Ben founded SSI.
Ben’s audio textures, soundscapes, and sound effects are heard in places such as the Indiana Jones attraction (Disneyland / Tokyo DisneySea), The Tower of Terror (Walt Disney Studios Paris / Tokyo DisneySea), Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (Disney Studios), Mission: Space (EPCOT Center), and the environmental soundscapes of Adventure Isle (Shanghai Disneyland).
Roy Herrington is a co-operator of Sound Sculpture, Inc and a sound artist specializing in physical hand-built sound devices and instruments for performance-based sound effects design.
The more mechanically minded of the two brothers, Roy has been a builder and inventor since childhood. He develops physical sound devices for SSI projects and is responsible for the ongoing development of a proprietary sound library. Roy earned his Journeyman of Recording Engineering certificate from Musicians Institute in Hollywood and joined SSI in 2003.
Vincent de la Torre
Vincent de La Torre began storytelling at age 12 creating videos on YouTube with millions of views. He earned a Bachelor’s degree in film and video from the University of Denver, CO, and an MFA in Film/Video from CalArts in 2019. At CalArts Vincent’s work expanded into CG and Game development, g=founding the CalArts Game Makers producing 17 games in 2 years.
Vincent joined Sound Sculpture in 2019 as a Technical artist, creating innovative solutions for collaboration, ranging from evolving production workflow to pipeline and asset management.
Greg Krueger – Collaborator
Greg Krueger is an award-winning sound mixer, spending 20 years recording, editing, and mixing sound as Principle Sound Mixer for Walt Disney Imagineering. He has mixed landmark films as Soarin’ Over California, 3D Mickey’s PhilHarmagic and as music mixer his credits include the music in Olga’s Cantina in Disney’s Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge.