Waterpark manufacturer Polin has teamed with construction and engineering firm Istrakop Ltd to create Croatia’s first waterpark.
As the popularity of waterparks has increased globally, so have their numbers. But there still remain a few locations where these oases of aquatic summer fun have yet to be built. When a waterpark is at last constructed in one of these places, its opening is eagerly anticipated.
When the Istralandia Aquapark in the Croatian region of Istria opened in June, crowds flocked from far and wide to experience for the first time the excitement a waterpark can offer.
The ground-breaking water park, owned by construction firm Istrakop Ltd., a Porec, Croatia based company, is located an hour’s drive north of the city of Pula, near Brtonigla and Novigrad. Exclusively featuring the award-winning waterslides of Polin Waterparks, Istralandia Aquapark covers over 8.1 hectares, or 20 acres.
Istrakop spent €10 million (US$ 13.13 million) on building Istralandia. 1.2km of pipes were installed under the park’s extensive grounds to supply the water to attractions such as the 27m high waterslide and 2, 500 sq m wave pool, the largest in the Mediterranean, which creates 1 metre high waves: sufficiently high for surfing.
Water for the installation/facility is drawn from local groundwater wells and recycles 90% of it. The additional 10% goes through a biological purifier.
A wide range of entertainment choices, both aquatic and land-based, are on offer at Istralandia.
Synchronised swimming, foam parties, diving, dancing and cycling are among the water-based fitness opportunities. Those who prefer to exercise on land can choose from beach volleyball, bowling, badminton and Latin American dance classes. An amphitheatre that seats 500 is the venue for concerts and magic shows.
But the most compelling attractions of Croatia’s first waterpark are the water rides. All designed and constructed by waterslide manufacturer Polin, they comprise:
- Flying Boats. This splash-boat attraction is available in two configurations: a downhill ride and an uphill, water-propelled, rollercoaster-style ride. Guests experience a 106-meter (348-feet) journey full of surprises as they are jetted up and down the ride's tubes in one- and two-person inflatable rafts before an unexpected long drop and splash-down.
- Black Hole + Family Rafting Slide Combination. This ride combination features tubes that allow four people to experience the 138-meter-long (453-feet-long) slide together. The Black Hole portion of this ride consists of an enclosed tube slide, one of Polin's most-popular rides due to its unique slide experience. This section of the ride includes a variety of exclusive special effects, including unique colour impressions directly incorporated into each fiberglass tube. Riders are whisked through tunnels filled with dramatic visual effects as sunlight outside interacts with water sluicing inside the tubes. Then, on the Rafting Slide portion, riders experience the exhilaration of being in an open-tube slide. All slides feature Polin's exclusive resin-transfer moulding (RTM) manufacturing technology, which makes the slides appealing not only to the riders but also to guests on the ground because both the interior and exterior of the tubes are smooth and shiny.
- Kids' Multislide. This miniature version of Polin's popular slide offers the option of using mats or going without. It's 11-meter (36-feet) slide path allows kids to race head-to-head along four parallel paths.
- Kamikaze. Expertly engineered to deliver high-speed thrills, this free-fall, 27-meter- (88.58-feet-) high slide undulates for 96m (315 feet), whisking guests along an exhilarating path with adrenaline-pumping drops.
- Octopus Slide. Designed for children's waterplay areas, this colourful attraction features six arms, three used as slides and three used as stairs. A giant mushroom replaces the octopus head to rain droplets of water on children as they play beneath and around it.
- Mini Pirate Slide. This interactive play centre with a pirate theme includes numerous waterslides of different colours and types. It can fit compactly into any pool area while delivering fun, safety, function, comfort, innovation and ease of operation and maintenance.
- Frog Slide. One of Polin's newest products, this frog works as an attractive addition to any waterplay area.
- Clown Shower. Water flows from the clown’s nose and boxing gloves , while three or more guests relax under its shower together.
- Aqua Tower Type 500. This version of Polin's multi-level waterplay structure features a pirate theme and includes waterslides, valves, water cannons and many other attractions designed to enable little guests to have an unforgettable experience. It sits in a 1, 000-square-meter (10, 764-square-foot) shallow pool.