Ocean Park has announced 30 new attractions as part of its HK$5.5 billion Master Redevelopment Plan (MRP).
The attractions include:
- A new water park;
- A renovation of Whiskers Harbour with a focus on experiences for younger guests and families;
- A shark aquarium; and
- An exhibit themed around the South Australian outback including koalas.
Together with the Ocean Hotel project, the new attractions will lead to an estimated 1100 new permanent staff positions by 2017.
Ocean Park’s HK$5.5 billion Master Redevelopment Plan (MRP) aims to attract more overseas tourists and frequent independent travellers (FITs), as well as serving the local community.
Mr. Tom Mehrmann, Chief Executive of Ocean Park, said, “Ocean Park as a local landmark will undergo yet another dramatic transformation with our 495-room hotel development and the new 400, 000 square-foot Water World project, complemented by the 2015 launch of the MTR South Island Line, which will vastly enhance accessibility by independent travellers and locals alike. Ocean Park is thus well positioned to elevate its contributions as a pillar of Hong Kong’s tourism industry and community asset.
“With so many exciting projects being readied and in the pipeline, we are confident that we have the best management team to help us deliver the best theme park experience for the present and future needs of our guests.”
Ocean Park also announced three new executive director appointments to help with the developments:
- Mr. Paul Pei has been appointed Executive Director, Hotel & Hospitality.
- Ms. Vivian Lee, previously Director of Marketing, has been promoted to the position of Executive Director, Marketing & Sales.
- Ms. Celine Cheung has been promoted to the position of Executive Director, Design & Planning.
Commenting on the new appointments, Mr Mehrmann added that the new executive directors “have the professional expertise and passion for our values to help lead the exciting new phase of Ocean Park’s evolution as a world-class destination.”