Skip to main content

London Resort’s planning application inquiry delayed once again

The London Resort’s planning application inquiry has been delayed by the Planning Inspectorate once again.

News
The London Resort planning application themed lands

The London Resort‘s formal planning examination has been delayed again by the Planning Inspectorate, with a preliminary meeting unlikely to take place before April next year.

The six-month inquiry, which was expected to start this month, will decide whether the £2.5 billion resort in Kent should go ahead.

In a letter published on September 15, lead inspector Stuart Cowperthwaite said the panel does not “have a detailed understanding of the applicant’s proposed consultations and updates”.

Cowperthwaite said the panel could not “decide on the date(s) of the preliminary meeting before it has seen the applicant’s submissions”.

£2.5bn London Resort planned for Kent

london resort base camp dinosaur land

Based on the above, Cowperthwaite confirmed, the panel “anticipates that it will be unable to decide on the date(s) of the preliminary meeting before March 2022 and that a preliminary meeting is therefore unlikely to be held before April 2022”.

The London Resort was previously granted a delay due to its “ecological status” and SSSI designation. London Resort Company Holdings is challenging the SSSI designation.

Last month, Merlin Entertainments called for the London Resort’s plans to be resubmitted once again. This came after a previous submission from Merlin that said plans should be ‘withdrawn and resubmitted’.

In response to the latest delay, London Resort strategy and communications director Andy Martin said (via Kent Online): “Giving the UK its first, next-generation theme park and building it from scratch continues to be our goal and we are on-track to deliver it.”

2,000 business interested in London Resort

london resort dinosaurs

“Critically, it will also be one of the first operationally carbon neutral parks and a beacon of sustainability,” Martin added.

“It is only right that the necessary time is taken to work through what is a very complex and multifaceted project and we will continue to work with the Planning Inspectorate on turning our vision into reality.”

This setback follows the London Resort’s reveal that nearly 2,000 business are keen to become suppliers for the attraction, less than a month after launching a register of interest.

Images: The London Resort

Share this

Bea Mitchell

Bea is a journalist specialising in entertainment, attractions and tech with 10 years' experience. She has written and edited for publications including CNET, BuzzFeed, Digital Spy, Evening Standard and BBC. Bea graduated from King's College London and has an MA in journalism.

More from this author

More from this author

Related content

Your web browser is out of date. Update your browser for more security, speed and the best experience on this site.

Find out how to update