Dubai Parks & Resorts LLC, a Meraas Holding company that is developing Dubai Parks & Resorts, has announced that the infrastructure development on Phase 1 is 30 percent complete. In addition work on the power substation has registered 35 percent headway while excavation work has started on the district cooling facility.
Phase 1 of the development in Jebel Ali is a AED 10 billion (USD 2.7 billion) project comprising three theme parks – Motiongate™ Dubai, Bollywood™ Park Dubai and LEGOLAND® Dubai – as well as the Riverpark entrance plaza and the Lapita themed family hotel. Completion of Phase 1 is planned for 2016 and is expected to draw in five million visitors in its first year of operations.
Commenting on the announcement, Raed Al Nuaimi, CEO of Dubai Parks & Resorts LLC, said, “A mega project such as Dubai Parks & Resorts requires partners that have a strong track record in developing and delivering leisure and entertainment concepts of this scale. Following a stringent bidding process we have selected consultants and contractors with whom we are working closely to deliver an entertainment experience that brings to life the UAE leadership’s vision of positioning Dubai as a leading global tourist destination.”
The design of Dubai Parks & Resorts has involved some of the leading industry firms such as Rabben Herman, Gensler, HOK, RTKL, Forrec and Riva Creative, whilst CH2M Hill and Samsung SDS provided the infrastructure design.
Working on the Phase 1 construction and development are again some of the leading names in the industry including:
- Samsung C&T: Program management.
- Kier Group: Building the utilities component.
- ETA: Power sub-station project.
- National Central Cooling Company PJSC (“Tabreed”): District cooling facility.
- Besix Orascom: Majority of the LEGOLAND® Dubai building works
- Laing O’Rourke and Al Futtaim Carillion: Large part of Motiongate Dubai,
- ARCO General Contracting EST: Bollywood Parks.
- Hill International has also been contracted to manage the production and installation of all shows and rides, and provide construction management consultancy services for Phase 1 of Dubai Parks & Resorts.