Themed Entertainment Association (TEA) president Rick Rothschild says, “The 2012 TEA Summit March 15-16 followed by the Thea Awards Gala March 17 at Disneyland Resort will be 3 days of business networking and executive leadership dialog plus celebration of achievement and success. These events highlight the breadth of our international industry and the extraordinary collaboration amongst a wide diversity of disciplines, talents and skills. It is also that annual reconnecting with colleagues who make up the world-class creative ‘family’ that is the TEA. We’re really pleased at the calibre of participation this year – we’re going all-out for TEA’s 20th anniversary.”
The Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California is the host for each of the events planned.
March 15th, the summit’s first day, will feature two keynote speakers: Joel Manby, CEO of Herschend Family Entertainment and one of the stars of of American TV series “Undercover Boss” and LA based business and sales coach Phil Glosserman. The following day delegates will hear from Disney Legend Joe Rohde. Thinkwell Group’s Kelly Ryner and Roberta Perry of Edwards technologies will be the TEA Summit organisers. On the 17th, the annual Thea Awards Gala will give awards and celebrate the Themed Entertainment Association’s 20th anniversary. Celebrity presenters include:
- Michael Giacchino, actor
- Jonas Rivera, Cars2 composer
- Pixar’s Pete Docter and
- Anthony Daniels (Star Wars’ C3PO)
Tickets are available to both members of the public and industry professionals. The executive producer is Ron Miziker and sponsors include AECOM and Disney.
Companies providing support for the summit and Thea Awards Gala include: Garner Holt Productions , PGAV Destinations, AECOM, Disney, Coca-Cola, Electrosonic, Canyon Creative, RGH Themed Entertainment, Fountain People and Universal Studios.
Summit Day One – March 15, Disneyland Hotel – For senior executives, owners and operators
Providing business critical information and networking opportunities, the day will focus on ensuring success in the themed entertainment industry in today’s rapidly evolving global market. Joel Manby will discuss his leadership philosophy and Phil Glosserman will talk about entrepreneurial success. International audiovisual company Electrosonic’s Chris Conte, media design and production company Super 78 Studios’ Dina Benadon and Brad Merriman (ProFun) will share their experiences of international project work.
Summit Day Two – March 16, Disneyland Hotel – Thea Awards projects
The projects honoured with Thea Awards cover a huge range both geographically and in terms of the type of visitor attraction involved. The second day gives delegates the opportunity of a “behind-the-scenes” look at each, as a number of key themed entertainment professionals explain how these projects were brought to life. With a keynote session from renowned Walt Disney Imagineer Joe Rohde, projects showcased will include:
- The House of Dancing Water at City of Dreams, Macau (Matthew Jessner -Artistic Director)
- Space Fantasy the Ride at Universal Studios Japan (Amelia Anne Gordon -Producer)
- Star Tours – The Adventures Continue (Tom Fitzgerald , EVP Walt Disney Imagineering )
Thea Awards Gala, March 17, Disneyland Hotel
The centrepiece of the TEA’s 20th anniversary celebrations is the Thea Awards Gala. The theme park and attraction industry’s “Oscars”, the awards distinguish and honour outstanding endeavour and skill in the of creation of original, immersive and inspiring themed attractions and visitor experiences. The popular podcast The Season Pass will be broadcast live from the event and there will be a silent auction of 20 paintings from skilled industry artists.
Tickets are available both to themed entertainment professionals and the general public and can be purchased online at www.teaconnect.org
2012 (18th annual) Thea Awards Recipients- Themed Entertainment
THE BUZZ PRICE THEA AWARD
Recognizing a Lifetime of Distinguished Achievements (formerly the Thea Lifetime Achievement Award) – Joe Rohde, Walt Disney Imagineering
THEA CLASSIC AWARD
Puy du Fou: Le Grand Parc and Cinéscénie, Vendée, France
THEA AWARDS FOR OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT
- Space Fantasy The Ride at Universal Studios Japan (Attraction)
- Barnas Brannstasjon (Children’s Fire Station) at Kongeparken, Norway (Attraction on a Limited Budget)
- Arthur, L’Aventure 4D at Futuroscope (Attraction)
- Star Tours – The Adventures Continue at Disneyland and Disney’s Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World (Attraction Refresh)
- Fernbank NatureQuest at Fernbank Museum of Natural History, Atlanta (Museum Exhibit)
- YOU! The Experience at Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago(Museum Exhibit)
- The Changing Climate Show at Science North(Science Center Attraction on a Limited Budget)
- Ghost of the Castle at Louisiana’s Old State Capitol(Cultural Heritage Attraction on a Limited Budget)
- Crane Dance at Resorts World Sentosa (Show Spectacular)
- The Magic, The Memories, and You! at Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom (Show Spectacular)
- Yo México, Celebration of the Century of the Mexican Revolution, Mexico City (Live Show Event Spectacular)
- The House of Dancing Water at City of Dreams, Macau(Live Show Spectacular)
- FoodLoop at Europa-Park (Themed Restaurant Experience)
- Animation Magic in the Animator’s Palate Restaurant aboard Disney Cruise Line’s Ship – Disney Fantasy (Ingenious use of Technology)